June 22, 2010

Product: Cover Girl Smoothers Concealer

I apologize again for my neglect. After another hectic week, spring has finally turned to summer and the snow has fled. As I type this the sunshine has turned swiftly to thunderstorms, but I still feel exhilarated and inspired, looking forward to... nothing in particular, but feeling generally optimistic.

I'm feeling no ill effects from doubling the dose of Spiro--no good ones yet, either, but I am trying to be patient. Why is it that when one is busy and happy one seems to have less to blog about?

So this week, a product review.

Cover Girl Smoothers Concealer - 4 g

Ingredients:
  • Squalane, PPG 2 myristyl ether propionate, ethylhexyl hydroxystearate, triisocetyl citrate, petrolatum, phenyl trimethicone, euphorbia cerifera wax (candelilla), ozokerite, chamomilla recutita flower extract (matricaria), tocopheryl acetate, ascorbyl palmitate, panax ginseng root extract, C10 18 triglycerides, propylparaben, copernicia cerifera wax (carnauba), titanium dioxide, iron oxides, may contain mica

Things I liked:
  • It goes on nicely and is easy to blend with my fingers.
  • It conceals moderately well.
  • My dry, shaven skin actually seems to have improved a little, combined with more diligent moisturizing.

Things I didn't like:
  • It comes off a little easily on clothes.
  • Although concealing well, it's not completely opaque.
  • It doesn't quite match my inordinately pale skin tone.

Did it do what it promised?

From Cover Girl's website: "Whether you need to conceal a little or a lot, this conditioning concealer with botanicals such as ginseng, vitamin E and chamomile will help your skin look and feel smooth. Dermatologically-tested formula glides on easily to help cover dark circles, fine lines and other imperfections."

Short answer: yes. I am quite happy with this concealer, and have no plans to switch any time soon.

When I was going through a difficult period of extreme dryness after shaving my face, I was looking for better ways to moisturize. My skin was so scaly that concealers and foundations looked absolutely horrible, but I needed to hide shadow, irritation, nicks and ingrown hairs. To complicate matters, the rest of my face got quite oily during the day. While browsing around for something new to try, I had always stayed away from make-up designed for dry skin. But I thought, perhaps a concealer, something I wouldn't put all over my face like a foundation, might help. And this one had vitamin E. I well know how good that is for your skin.

I am now on my third stick of this stuff and haven't looked back. Combined with a better moisturizing regimen (and my usual oil-free powder patted on top) my jaw, chin and neck have looked so much better. While not perfect, it's still the best thing I've tried so far.

See what other people thought of the Smoothers concealer:

Reviews on Cover Girl's website
Review Stream
Make-Up Alley
Total Beauty
Associated Content

No comments: